Wilcox School

The Wilcox School-District #29 – is only one of a few remaining rural schoolhouses in Trego County. The school served Wilcox Township, a rural settlement approximately 16 miles south of WaKeeney along the Smoky Hill River, for over sixty years.

Interesting Facts about the Wilcox School-District #29:

  • Located south of WaKeeney on US Hwy 283 and Trego County Road X
  • 1886 built of native limestone by early settlers
  • Limestone was quarried along the Smoky Hill River ½ mile south of the school
  • Limestone was quarried on the south shore of the river and hauled to the building site across natural fords or low-water bridges
  • School became hub of the community for many different activities
  • 1947 school closed
  • Became clubhouse for the Hi-Plains Gravel Grinders Motorcycle Club
  • Located on the Smoky Valley Scenic Byway
  • Listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places
  • Trego WaKeeney Community Foundation working to preserve school
  • 2012 Phase 1 of restoration completed – stone and roof repaired

 

Location:
PO Box 275
WaKeeney, KS 67672
Phone:
Toll Free:
(785) 743-8325
(877) 962-7248

 

Website | Email